Make a USB printer into a Wireless printer

RISC OS user 11:48 11 Oct 2014
Answered

I have ordered a USB TO LAN RJ45 Ethernet 10Mb/100Mb Network Adapter, which I plan to use to connect my HP All in One printer to my Wireless router. I wish to be able to print from any of my PC's which are on the LAN to it, but without having to have the PC to which the printer is at present connect via the USB port switched on. Can any one see any major problems? Also would the Adapter act in the same way as an inbuilt USB port on a router? I understand that all I would have to do is ensure that the printer drivers are installed on each PC and give the address of the router (192.16.1.254) in the "add printer" set up. Any info would be gratefully received.

Woolwell 12:12 11 Oct 2014

Which printer?

alanrwood 12:29 11 Oct 2014

The TP-Link PU130U is a similar device which allows 4 printers to be connected and is only a couple of pounds more expensive. Note these are not wireless connections but don't know how important this is to the OP

RISC OS user 13:06 11 Oct 2014

Woolwell Thank you for your reply. The Printer is HP 1350 all in one, I do not want to spend out on a server when perhaps in a couple of years I will purchase a replacement printer which would be wireless anyway and the server would then become redundant and I only wish to connect one printer. The adapter is see link click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:35 11 Oct 2014

Does your router have a USB port? and is it close enough to the printer?

I run my Epson sx215 via the router and can print wirelessly from a laptop in any room in the house (yet to figure out how to get the tablet to print to it).

RISC OS user 14:27 11 Oct 2014

Fruit Bat /\0/\, thanks for your reply, the router does not have a USB port. It would be close enough.

Woolwell 14:38 11 Oct 2014

The adaptor that you have bought will not do the job. You have a choice of new printer, print server or router.

RISC OS user 10:52 12 Oct 2014

I am dealing with your comments, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?