Make some money?

Bedazzle 18:29 23 Sep 2008

I started a comparison site for Australian credit cards - balancetransfer.com.au - a few years ago as a bit of a hobby, and recently it seems to have taken off - it now comes in at number one on an Australian google search using key words such as: balance transfer.

Presently, I'm not making any money from it as I don't collect any commission from referred sales that I generate for the credit cards featured on my website.

So my question is: how would I go about setting up a system whereby referred sales generated from my website could be tracked so that I could charge a commission on each sale.

Once I've worked this out, my plan is to contact the credit card companies to try and sort out a commission deal for each referred sale.

What do you think?

Any other general advice re the site would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bedazzle

Rodders 10:19 24 Sep 2008

I'm no expert on this subject, but I've got a couple of suggestions.

1. Start tracking the clicks - in the UK it would be a bit of a grey area if you recorded any personal data without informing the user, but you can certainly log what was clicked and when. Later, you can use that to present your business case to the credit card companies.

2. Contact the credit card companies now anyway. Ask them if they'd be interested in some kind of arrangement. They may have a business model in place to deal with this - either they pay commission or they would pay to advertise. You could also ask them to provide an electronic feed of their latest offers.

Bedazzle 11:48 24 Sep 2008

Thanks for the advice Rodders.

Do you know the best way to go about tracking these clicks - does google analytics perform this task?

Cheers

Proclaimer 13:38 24 Sep 2008

Invisible to 'the clicker'... click here

gerri-atrick 13:44 25 Sep 2008

You could always ad adverts like adsense (used to the right of this forum >>>>>)that if used correctly and it is a good niche can pay quite well (by using correct keywords the organisations you recommend will be in the ads)also there is affiliate ads from somewhere like commision junction where you can add adverts for the companies you see compared on your site.

Adsense is a pay per click, and commision junction is a pay per purchase site, both have their good and bad points (there are others who do the same as them its just that they are the ones i use) but positioned and designed correctly you can make a lot of money ..... i Do ;)

Bedazzle 19:03 25 Sep 2008

Thanks gerri-atrick, that's very useful and encouraging advice, indeed!

I've approached one credit card company and they have advised me to use Viva9 which has commission monster, so fingers crossed they'll accept me and I'll be able to make something out of this...
;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?