Make a HDD safe for resale?

AL47 07:40 22 Feb 2010

i have a few HDDs kicking around that are worth selling but not worth keeping

i am not sure what i need to do to completely erase all the data, i used to think you just had to wipe the data via format a few times and rewrite but found this isnt even enough sometimes cause of cluster being partially filled

i found that a utility called 'eraser' is free and writes random data to a disk wiping it completely and can go through as amny writes/formats as you choose

is this enough to then sell them?

michaelw 09:21 22 Feb 2010

Yes, or Killdisk will do the job click here

Graphicool1 09:21 22 Feb 2010

I don't understand this statement...
"i have a few HDDs kicking around that are worth selling but not worth keeping"

If they are good enough to sell, then surely it follows they are good enough to keep? You could use them as back-up drive or for general storage.

Rahere 15:56 22 Feb 2010

Dban can wipe a drive to high level - but three random passes are more than adequate! link click here

GaT7 17:28 22 Feb 2010

"i found that a utility called 'eraser' is free and writes random data to a disk wiping it completely and can go through as amny writes/formats as you choose"

Yes, that'll do just fine. The 3-pass option is more than enough. G

AL47 18:39 22 Feb 2010

ok so 3 passes is ok, ill have at all 3

i could keep them but no real point, got a 320 and 500 to get rid of in 2.5 factor and theyre 7200rpms

ive moved from laptop to desktop

Graphicool1 10:50 23 Feb 2010

I see your reasoning, however looking at it logically...
...it would be better to keep 1 egg in many smaller baskets, than many eggs in one big one.

The size of the HDD doesn't make it any safer or less prone to packing up, as I can testify! I successively lost all my work once, then potentially lost it on two more occasions. Because the HDD's went belly up, without warning!

But after the first time, I wised up and I now spread the load. I keep it all on many disks. So when I had two more HDD's go down, I could smile at my good fortune and foreword thinking.

It makes me shudder when I see all these bigger and bigger drives, now it's Tbyte, I see it as terror byte. When I think of all those people putting everything on one massive drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone