Major Zone Alarm problem on one of my PCs

Red Devil 12:06 24 Apr 2007

Hi all,

I'm having a major problem with Zone Alarm on one of my PCs.

Basically, TrueVector Internet Monitor seems to keep getting corrupted somehow. Once it is corrupted, I cannot access the internet from this PC at all UNLESS I disable Zone Alarm thereby removing my firewall protection. Internet activity both imcoming and outgoing is blocked completely when Zone Alarm is running and nothing I do can change this.

The only way I can regain internet connectivity is to uninstall and re-install Zone Alarm - which I have done half a dozen times or more now. Even then, I can't use the Zone Alarm uninstaller as the corrupted TrueVector Internet Monitor is left behind and this causes the Zone Alarm install process to fail when I try and install it again.

Instead, I have to use The built-in Windows Add/Remove Program facility from Control Panel to effect a complete uninstall before I then re-install Zone Alarm.

This has all the feel of a virus or some form of malware to me to get me to disable my firewall so that my PC is open to exploit but every virus and malware scan I've run comes back with no issues found.

Does anyone have any idea what my issue with Zone Alarm may be and, more importantly, how to solve it?

Cheers.

MichelleC 13:22 24 Apr 2007

I've tried Comodo, Kerio and Zonealarm over the years. The 1st two have conflicted with other progs but never Z. Maybe it's worth trying one of the others just on that pc.

Jack Hackett 13:30 24 Apr 2007

Uninstall ZA, reboot, go to Start > Run and type in
services.msc
OK
On the resulting window, Scroll down the list on the left, looking for the TrueVector service, double click on it and select 'Disable' from the 'startup type' box. Exit the services window.
Reinstall ZA.

Jack Hackett 13:35 24 Apr 2007

the full monty remove and reinstall

start in SAFE MODE and do the following:
Go to Start > Search > Files and Folders. Make sure the location box is set to search your Local Hard Drive (usually C:\ ) or All Local Drives. Also make
sure the Advanced Search Options are set to search subfolders and hidden files. Now copy the entire line below, paste it into the search box and click Search Now.

Zonelabs; "zone labs"; "Internet logs"; vsconfig.xml; vsdata.dll; vsdata95.vxd; vsdatant.sys; vsmon.*; vsmonapi.dll; vsnetutils.dll;vspubapi.dll; zaplus.*; zapro.*; zllictbl.dat; zlparser.dll; zonealarm.exe; zoneband.dll; vsutil.dll; zlclient.*

A list of files and folders belonging to ZoneAlarm will appear in the Search Results panel.
Now proceed by deleting all ZoneLabs files and folders that were found.

Empty the Recycle Bin.

Run a registry/system cleaner. ccleaner is quite good utility click here

Re-download ZA and Install

smokingbeagle 13:40 24 Apr 2007

Uninstall ZA. Delete the "ZoneLabs" folder in C:\WINDOWS\system32.
Re-install

mitsme 13:40 24 Apr 2007

Hi might be an idea to stop ZA & restart without it running, rely on windows firewall until you have properly uninstalled ZA. I may be wrong. TrueVector is part of ZoneAlarm & will always run til shutdown, hence incopmlete uninstal? Let me know if that's right.

Red Devil 17:22 29 Apr 2007

........but it seems like Zone Alarm has decided to settle down and behave itself as I haven't had the issue occur for the last 4 days or so now despite using the PC concerned heavily when my other, main, PC's internet connection started to play up.

I'll put it down as "resolved" for now but I'll bear in mind all your suggestions should the problem reappear at any stage.

msvf 15:32 07 Oct 2007

@ Red Devil...but what did you do to fix the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?