Major problems on start up

kettlejake1 20:12 21 Aug 2006

When I start my PC and try to open any program, the cursor starts flashing crazily and multiple windows open (sometimes up to 200). When I try to take any action such as System Restore, the machine just shuts down. I'm running Windows XP with SP2 and I have installed Windows Defender, which the problem, whatever it is, won't let me open properly. I also have an E-Acceleration virus scan programme, which I have run 4 times and now tells me my machine is infection-free. The first couple of times I ran it, it told me that I had something called xbarre infecting it, but that had been deleted. However, the problem still remains and I can't use email or internet. I'm having to borrow a laptop to ask for help with this. Anybody got any ideas?

VoG II 20:16 21 Aug 2006

Start, Run, type

sfc /scannow

and click OK. You may be asked for your Windows CD.

If that fails try a repair click here

aca 20:17 21 Aug 2006

Do you have System Restore on as this may be cause of reinfection.

Can you start ok in Safe Mode. Switch off System Restore (this will lose all your restore points). Scan for virus again. Put System Restore back on and restart.

Others far wiser than me on this forum will I'm sure be able to help so worth waiting a bit for their advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?