major problems need to re-install windoes but cant

rosie12 11:13 23 Feb 2006

Hi, Many things are going wrong with my computer at the moment, i cant even connect to the internet so i am using my laptop with a mobile connection to get through now. Basically I deleted a few files by mistake and now when I go to do a system restore, it goes through the motions, just like its doing it ok then when windows restarts it tells me that system restore was unsuccessful, anyway after being on the phone for the best part of an hour to wanadoo broadband services to try and get my livebox back up and running they couldn't do it over the phone, cant find the problem....basically i thought that i would just re-install windows and get a clean disk to start again but i didn't get any windows disk with my comp. that i bought at pc world 6 months ago, in fact i didn't get any disks so how can i clean off the disk/do a windows install....

Totally-braindead 11:21 23 Feb 2006

Have you tried more than one restore point? Sometimes it takes several attempts to find one that will work.

Yoda2002 11:23 23 Feb 2006

check agian if you did not get a windows disk you should have got a disk to restore the factory defaults..it willl also run you thur the disk format and reinstall

Totally-braindead 11:39 23 Feb 2006

If you didn't get a disk then Windows will be on a seperate, perhaps hidden partition on the hard drive and you should be able to reinstall/repair from that.

rosie12 11:40 23 Feb 2006

Hi, I have tried 12 restore points now and the samething happens, yoda, i dont remember getting a disk and i am usually good at keeping this sort of thing safe, however, i will now go and turn the house upside down to see if i can find it....

Hertz Van Rentyl 12:19 23 Feb 2006

When you boot up do you get any options to press an F key to restore.

rosie12 12:29 23 Feb 2006

OK I have found some CDs with booklets, I have moved house so this was the problem, why I couldn't find anything...Anyway, none of the booklets tell me how to re-install windows, I have 3 cds. all with nothing on them (meaning I dont know what they are) or which one I should use.Hertz: when I boot up I am getting windows OK, Its just that because of some problems I have I want to do a complete clean, I cant remember what you call it but I want it as if the computer has just been bought, you know, with an empty drive. I have backed-up all my important files but I would also like to back-up my e-mails but cant find out how to do it....meanwhile do you think I should shove in any one of these blank cds to see whats on them? btw...I would just like to say that I have been using this site for quite a while now and it has helped me out of a lot of problems, I have got to say that is is a wonderful place to come and get help, and I cant believe its free, and so quick to resolve everything, especially after spending an hour on the wanadoo help line with nothing fixed, it must of cost me a fortune!!!so please accept my considerable thanks for all of this.....

rosie12 13:03 23 Feb 2006

its all ok now guys i have found out how to do it......thanks

rosie12 09:15 05 Mar 2006

All Done and thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?