Major infection, and can't get shut

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 19:17 26 May 2010

Hi all,
You have helped me many times but this is the most vital.
a friend had 'watch a video of me' on facebook. Now I really hate facebook, and my wife happend to have it on...anyway as soon as I did PC has gone bananas, continually running a scan that is telling me that I have over 20 viruses, trojans ect. I(Box just poped up again....Message from webpage...Warning! Your PC is at risk of virus and malware attack> Your system requires imediate check. System security will perform a quick scan of your PC. It tries to connect uing a dial up connection (I am on BT broadband. Some of my wifes mates (on facebook) are reporting that stuff is happening on their PC's. Because we have internet banking, with HSBC they offer free Mcphee anti virus, however when I click the link the page does not download, and connect / work off line box appears.
I really think this PC is corrupt, and it is way above me as to what to do, but given I do so much on line I do not want to be compromised.
Since I have the XP disc, could I take the computer back to factory settings (Thus getting rid of whatever is infecting it), so I can download McPhee.

I have always had the best from you all, and this one could really save me a lot of hassle

Yours in hope of a speedy resolution

Technotiger 19:25 26 May 2010

First of all turn off computer - if you can't do this normally, hold down the on/off button for 4 seconds and PC will turn off.

Then disconnect from Router so that you can start up again without going on-line. Then start-up by going in to Safe Mode (repeatedly press F8) if necessary, then run all your anti-everything programs/scans ... let us know what if anything, happens!

Halmer 19:27 26 May 2010

click here

then run it. It's fairly self explanatory and has rescued a couple of PCs that I have looked at recently.

H

Technotiger 19:34 26 May 2010

Hi, I am hoping Paul already has something similar on his PC - if he is having so much trouble on-line, I doubt he will be able to download anything!

FRANKMAC 19:41 26 May 2010

I had similar problem a couple of months back, i did exactly as Technotiger advises. Then for good measure i did a system restore to last good restore point prior to the problem, everything was back as it was and is still working perfectly.
Good luck.

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 19:41 26 May 2010

I will do as Tech advises, and save Halmer's link. About 2 mins after asking me to scan a website comes up There is a we page that keeps comming up from soft sales offering great dowloadable software, and part of a web box comes up, sits in the middle of the PC, and wont go as it is connected to this 'required scan'

Paul-has-more-of-a-clue...:@) 19:45 26 May 2010

The dial up box is saing Connecting through WAN (PPPOE)...

Technotiger 19:47 26 May 2010

Disconnect from router/modem completely! Then do as I suggested.

Sea Urchin 21:06 26 May 2010

How to remove Soft Rogue Antispyware:

click here

civicr 22:00 26 May 2010

Try downloading malwarebytes anti malware on another pc and run it in safe mode, worked for me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?