Major hard drive splat?

Epirb406 22:32 02 Feb 2009

Turned on my Acer Aspire L3600 today and got the message:
"Intel Boot Agent GE v 1.2.42, Copyright 1997-2006. Intel Corporation, PXE-E61: Media test falure, check cable, PXE M0F: Exciting Intel Boot Agent.Reboot and Select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key."

It is fairly obvious that the hard disk is not available. Something I confirmed with a dos diagnosis tool that cannot see the drive.

I then opened the machine and checked all the cables but this did not solve the problem.

2 Questions, 1, could I be missing anything obvious? and what about my embedded copy of Vista Home premium for which I have a COA but no back up disk or access??

Cheers, Epirb.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:38 02 Feb 2009

Its trying to boot from a network drive first.

Enter (setup) the BIOS and change the HDD to the first bbot device if you find network drive PXE then disable it.
Save and exit (F10)

and it should reboot OK.

Epirb406 22:42 02 Feb 2009

HDD Not available in boot menu, on offer is network drive, USB drive or CD,

Cheers, Epirb.

Epirb406 22:32 03 Feb 2009

sunk?

Epirb406 19:41 10 Feb 2009

So, I have a shiny new Hard drive installed and have started reading..

Seems that Acer HDD not unheard of...

Installing OS without disks not so simple.

I have nothing except the Genuine Vista sticker on the box and an Acer S/n and date of manufactur.

I have no warranty as the first thing I did when I got it was break the seal to upgrade the RAM.

The vendor is referring me to Acer and to be honest I really don't want to put the thing in the post.

So, no disk, fresh as a daisy HDD, number on box.

Is there a way back to Vista in this house?

Cheers all, Epirb.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:52 10 Feb 2009

I have no warranty as the first thing I did when I got it was break the seal to upgrade the RAM.

Did you make the back up DVD as recommended when first switched on?

If not then you need to try and recover the old HDD by putting in a caddy and see if any signs of life.
or
Borrow a Vista DVD and install using your COA.

Epirb406 21:11 10 Feb 2009

No is the answer to your question of course, I didn't do as I should have done and make a back up.

I'm sure I can borrow a copy of the DVD, Is it as simple as entering the code that is on the box on the sticker?

If so I am away but the threads I read seem to make it rather more complicated than that!

Cheers, Epirb.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:45 10 Feb 2009

Is it as simple as entering the code that is on the box on the sticker?

Yes

Epirb406 21:48 10 Feb 2009

I'll give it a go!

Epirb.

Epirb406 18:11 26 Apr 2009

Took a while to get round to this, life's a bit busy!

Installed borrowed Vista disk. Couldn't verify on line. Told me I had pirated software(!)

Used the phone verification wizard, this generated a long verification number which I entered and bingo, verified and legal once again!

Thanks for all advice, don't know why it wouldn't verify on-line but guess it doesn't matter.

Brgds, Epirb.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?