Main Class?

juliejm 06:38 10 Apr 2007

After A frustrating two days loading free upgrade of Vista and deciding to restore XP (Don't ask!!!) I seem to be eventually OK with most things except when I now boot up I get an error box which says - Couldn't load Main Class.

The PC is a Philips freevents x65. Any ideas of what I need to do to restore Main class please?

Thanks

howard64 06:40 10 Apr 2007

if you have the xp cd you could try booting from it and when you get to the options screen hit R to repair the installation.

juliejm 08:31 10 Apr 2007

Thanks Howard. I only have the recovery discs that I made myself after inital purchase. The PC did not come supplied with any XP discs.

When I removed vista I used this recovery disc. Will I lose everything again if I just hit the R key? The initial restore was OK after Vista but I had various conflicts with the Virus software when I tried to re-install it. I restored the machine to before I added the virus software and it was only then, on the next reboot, that this message appeared.

juliejm 18:46 10 Apr 2007

Does anyone else have any solutions to this problem?

I have installed the latest Java RE but this has not done the trick, also tried registry repair software.

Can I reboot from recovery discs for possible repair without wiping the system and starting all over again? Not keen to do go through complete re-install again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:14 10 Apr 2007

MAy be connected with one of your startup programs possibly Antivirus.

Use Msconfig to disable each one at a time on startup and see if it cures the problem.
Once you know which prog is causing the prolem then unistall and reinstall it.

juliejm 18:43 18 Apr 2007

Thanks Fruit Bat I have identified the problem program as you suggested. It is Philips Media Manager, however if I go to uninstall to try to remove it I just get the error message again - couldn't load main class. Is there any other way I can uninstall it - I am not very tecky so you need to be quite specific.

Many thanks

Julie

audeal 23:01 18 Apr 2007

Can you reinstall it over the top

juliejm 08:53 19 Apr 2007

Thanks Audeal - I have tried to do this but I have been unable to get a download from anywhere. The Philips download site is currently unavailable.

However, I have finally managed to get rid of the error message by simply removing the program from the start-up menu. I will reinstall an uncorruped version, if possible, when I can get my hands on a download.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?