mailwasher problem

palinka 18:47 04 Jan 2006

I downloaded mailwasher for a friend (I'm on BB he's on dial-up) it installs OK and he can get the help files, etc, etc from it; but he cannot use it to check his mail. He gets the following errors "Network is down" (not true, if it's referring to his computer which is not on a network). and "DNS fail".

Can anyone suggest a solution, please? His ISP is cix; I imagine his OS is XP.

Diodorus Siculus 18:53 04 Jan 2006

Has he put in the correct pop3 server details?

Also, could be a case of mailwasher being blocked by a firewall.

mgmcc 19:13 04 Jan 2006

<<< "Network is down" (not true, if it's referring to his computer which is not on a network). and "DNS fail" >>>

The internet is a *network* - is he actually online when running Mailwasher or is he expecting it to establish the dialup connection and then run a mail check? It can be configured to "Dialup to the internet" by going into Tools > Options and selecting the Connections tab.

palinka 20:25 04 Jan 2006

thank you both. I'll pass on your suggestions. I'll check with him about POP3 - though I don't remember ever having to enter details of that sort myself when I installed mailwasher, or when I did it for someone else (also a dial-up). Firewall may be a possibility.
I understood him to have configured the connection, mgmcc,but I'll mention that to him.

Diodorus Siculus 22:47 04 Jan 2006

I use the free version of mailwasher which has support for multiple accounts and it is necessary to specify pop3 details.

I'm not sure of more recent versions though.

palinka 18:36 09 Jan 2006

I won't be seeing him for a while, so I'll tick resolved and start a new thread if he's still got a problem.

bellababy 19:08 09 Jan 2006

palinka. I have used Mailwasher Pro for a number of years,It's good but slow and ponderous, needs tinkering with and sometimes difficult to set up, a better solution I have just discovered is ePrompter which can be found at <click here> This is a very small freeware programme which is so simple to use and does all that mailwasher does with just a few simple clicks,see also
<click here>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?