Mailwasher: to bounce, or not to bounce ...

prester-john 10:24 01 Aug 2009

Discussion in recent Helproom subjects has warned against 'bouncing' spam, because it confirms that you exist, and therefore makes you a more attractive target.

Mailwasher's Help ('How to bounce email') recommends that you bounce, because it is done in a way that 'proves' you don't exist, so making you a less attractive target.

Which? And Why?

Chris the Ancient 10:31 01 Aug 2009

I use Mailwasher. But I don't 'bounce' so that I am invisible. I don't even bother with the blacklist. Just the friends list.

It's no effort to just let the mail processing delete unwanted mail; and I don't really see why a 'bounce' is of any help.

Pine Man 10:33 01 Aug 2009

I can't speak for Mailwasher BUT bouncing spam has always been considered bad practice. If everybody did it all of the spam originally sent out would be doubled on return.

Surely there is no need to reply in any way whatsoever to any spam?

Belatucadrus 10:47 01 Aug 2009

Spammers pay no attention to bounced messages, you'd just be creating more pointless mail traffic.

prester-john 14:09 01 Aug 2009

Thank you Chris the Ancient, Pine Man and Belatucadrus. From now on I'm a non-bouncer. But I still dunno why Mailwasher actually recommend bouncing spam, so I'll leave the thread open a bit longer. Someone may be able to say why.

keverne 14:24 01 Aug 2009

Another point to consider is that the 'reply-to' addresses are usually forged meaning that the innocent receive a flood of bounced mail.

prester-john 17:01 01 Aug 2009

Ah, of course! I'd noticed something of the sort, but hadn't worked it out yet.

GaT7 18:06 01 Aug 2009

"Surely there is no need to reply in any way whatsoever to any spam?"

"Spammers pay no attention to bounced messages, you'd just be creating more pointless mail traffic."

"Another point to consider is that the 'reply-to' addresses are usually forged meaning that the innocent receive a flood of bounced mail."

Exactly why I stopped bouncing long ago :-). Some more reading at click here & click here. It's surprising MW still has this feature - view their FAQs about this click here - at least they now admit it will annoy somebody! G

woodchip 18:20 01 Aug 2009

bouncing will only had chaos to a already bad situation. and it will not stop them

prester-john 21:23 01 Aug 2009

Some very interesting reading in your links. Thank you.

I'm clicking 'Resolved' now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?