mailskinner.rtk trojan

B Fuddled 18:46 03 Oct 2007

Latest update of spybot detects this trojan in 4 locations in the XP registry. Spybot says it is similar to the messengerskinner trojan and is supposed to add 'smilies' to Outlook. Other than that I can't find out anything about it.

I don't use Outlook so have now uninstalled it. Fixing the problem in spybot only works until you restart the system or log off/on.

Advice please on whether mailskinner is a problem, what is it capable of, and how do I get rid of it.

mfletch 18:59 03 Oct 2007

Hi, Try these two free programs to remove your Trojan,

1/ AVG Anti Rootkit click here

2/ Superantispyware click here

Check for any updates before using them,

Also delete all temp Internet files and all cookies,

Hope this helps you,

mfletch

Probabilitydrive 19:05 03 Oct 2007

Are you running Kaspersky as your I-net security application? If so, than there is an explanation in their forum click here

I run Kaspersky and Spybot and I think also it is a false positive.

Probabilitydrive 19:05 03 Oct 2007

Are you running Kaspersky as your I-net security application? If so, than there is an explanation in their forum click here

I run Kaspersky and Spybot and I think also it is a false positive.

B Fuddled 19:20 04 Oct 2007

Many thanks for your help and suggestions. It seems that it could well have been a false positive. I remembered today that Spybot updates on a Wednesday - and I didn't do it yesterday. Having updated today the problem is resolved!!

Thankyou Spybot.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?