Mailbot....... just curious

Diemmess 14:08 21 Mar 2006

Using W2000
During an enthusiastic clean up, Spybot (updated) showed a summary like this.......

Yellow triangle-

"Error during check!
Mailbot (Datei F:\WINNT\win.ini kann nicht geoffnet werden - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another program"

A line lower
Green Tick
"Congratulations - No immediate threats were found"

Google implies that Mailbot as such, is one of those aids to emailing. Under slightly different names it is malicious.

I tried,CClean, Spybot in Safe Mode, same result.
Neither Ad-Aware nor AVG found anything, nor does it appear in Windows add/remove.

Ran regedit, found one default line which I deleted.
The upshot is that the computer was and is running correctly and I still have that laconic message from Spybot.

I am curious rather than concerned. Can someone explain how Mailbot got there and a non-heroic means of losing it, or even using it?

ACOLYTE 14:51 21 Mar 2006

According to click here this is a know problem with spybot,i couldnt open any of the links on the site as they seem to be deleted but it may help.

Diemmess 16:39 21 Mar 2006

Nice!
I read that post about advchk.dll, found mine was as suspected o.o.d.

Simply uninstalled Spybot S&D and reinstalled from the "safer-networking" site this time rather than Download.com.

Whether that made a difference is just guessing. but I updated immediately and ran it. Found a couple of minor nasties like Double Click.
Ran a second time and came up with a no-nonsense big green tick.

Put simply, this sort of problem often only needs a careful re-installation from a trusted source.
Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone