Mail servers are being "blacklisted".

Number six 19:46 07 Mar 2004

In recent months, myself and several of my friends have had an occasional problem sending emails. Their messages are returned as undeliverable because the sender's mail servers are apparently "blacklisted" by the recipient's. The usual reason given being that the sender's service provider are running "open relay" servers. This has only started happening in the last couple of months. Anyone else had similar problems? Comments?

Diodorus Siculus 09:12 08 Mar 2004

It shows one of the major drawbacks of anti-spam operations which rely on blacklists: innocent users get caught out. Frequently I find that mailwasher incorrectly marks mail which comes from AOL users as being "origin blacklisted".

Diodorus Siculus 09:17 08 Mar 2004

click here for a debate on the issue.

Jester2K 09:20 08 Mar 2004

Who are their ISPs?

Jakey boy 09:21 08 Mar 2004

I had an email "undelivered" stating that the recipient's isp was not accepting mail from my source, or something similar. The recipient was with AOL and my own ISP is BT Yahoo BroadBand! Anyone else? Is this due to "blacklisting"?

Number six 20:52 08 Mar 2004

I have just run a quick test, using my 4 mail accounts with different providers, and once again one in particular will not accept email from the other three (BT, Freeserve, Tiscali). It will also not accept messages from my brother's account (blueyonder broadband). Over-zealous policing, me thinks. Jakey boy, you're lucky this has only happened to you once! Incidentally, the blacklist can be seen at click here

Djohn 21:32 08 Mar 2004

click here and click here and click here This is a problem thats been around for a while now. :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?