Mail Merge Defaults

steviegee 11:49 24 Sep 2010

Office 2003. I use mail merge a lot with the same size label, yet everytime I open mail merge up I have to keep selecting the label size. Is there a way I can keep it as default.

Taff™ 16:15 24 Sep 2010

I usually just save it as a template and change the data source which I would have to do anyway.

This interests me too. Can you keep a label size as default as steviegee asks?

Taff™ 08:53 26 Sep 2010

I`ve had a look at Word 2002 and there doesn`t seem to be any way to keep a default easily. Here`s what I do for my Society where we have probably 400 members with about 30 still on snail mail. The main problem I have is that every couple of months or so I get e-mail bouncing because members have changed e-mail without informing us so a letter is the only way of reminding them to update their online records.

I originally set up a mail merge to a specific size of labels (Avery L7161) and then saved the merge document as "members labels MERGE". Note: the original merge document with data source - not the resultant mailing document.

Now whenever we have to send letters by post I call up that "Template" which always uses that size of label and simply change the data source for the members I want to snail mail. I would have to do that anyway if I was starting from scratch with a new Excel file of current members.

To expand a little on the data source which is an Excel file of all members. On the master sheet I sort out those who perhaps have lapsed membership i.e. not paid which is designated by one column field, then copy those to another sheet. Similarly, I then sort by e-mail address and copy those to another sheet - using that sheet for my e-mail. I then copy to a third sheet all those who don`t have an e-mail address - which are postal members.

When the e-mail merge has been done I wait 24 hours for any bouncers and manually move them from the e-mail sheet to postal before merging a letter which includes a simple paragraph explaining that they need to update their e-mail address. The labels are then printed off using the postal members sheet of the Excel file.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?