Mail Merge

Pompey 16:43 07 Dec 2008

I'm trying to produce a list of address labels for my Christmas cards using MS Word 2007. Unfortunately whilst typing up the list using the wizard I had to leave it in the middle. Today I have gone back to it and tried to add more names and addresses, but there doesn't seem to be any method of doing so. I click on a new line but it is 'dead', I cannot type anything in it.

Does anyone have a solution for this please or do I have to start again when I have time to do the whole list?

I am running Windows XP SP3 and the full 2007 Office Suite.

Sea Urchin 16:49 07 Dec 2008

Which program are you using to type your database?

Rahere 16:50 07 Dec 2008

I start from my Outlook contacts - many are tagged in the categories box. In category view I select the contacts I want to merge and select merge from the tools menu - the output is then passed to word - you select the fields - full name and full address does it for me - using the wizard it's pretty straightforward and - the output can be saved and edited in Word. The format looks a lot like a table so try adding a new row.

I use office 2000 on xp sp3....

Pompey 00:16 08 Dec 2008

Hallo Sea Urchin - When I open the wizard a small screen appears into which includes columns for the name and address details, and it is saved as an .mdb file, i.e. Access.

Rahere - I'm afraid I don't use Outlook, but thank you for responding.

lotvic 00:34 08 Dec 2008

I assume you have first created the database in Access, if you haven't then that is where you need to do it.
In Access open the .mdb file and add the other names and addresses there.

How to Perform a Mail Merge Operation by Using an Access Parameter Query click here
""To merge a Word document with an Access query by using a parameter query, follow these steps:

1. Start Word, and then open a new blank document.
2. On the Tools menu, click Mail Merge.
3. Click Create in the Mail Merge Helper dialog box, and then select the type of document to merge (such as Form Letters or Mailing Labels).
4. Click New Main Document.
5. Click Get Data, and then click Open Data Source.
6. In the Files of type box, click MS Access Databases (*.mdb;*.mde). In the Look in box, navigate to the folder in which the Access database file is located.
7. Select the database that you want to use, click to select the Select method check box, and then click Open.
8. In the Confirm Data Source dialog box, click MS Access Databases via DDE (*.mdb;*mde), and then click OK.

The Microsoft Access dialog box is displayed.
9. Click the Queries tab.
10. Select the parameter query in the Queries in database name list, and then click OK.

NOTE: database name is the name of your Access database.
11. A dialog box is displayed on the screen as a result of the parameter query.

NOTE: If the dialog box is not displayed and Word does not appear to be responding, press ALT+TAB once.

The dialog box should now appear.For additional information, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
211353 (click here ) WD2000: Mail Merge Stops Responding When You Use an Access Parameter Query
12. In the Parameter Query dialog box, type the parameter that is required, and then click OK.
13. Click Edit Main Document in the Microsoft Word dialog box that appears.
14. Insert the merge fields in the main document, and then perform the mail merge as usual.""

Pompey 11:01 08 Dec 2008

Hallo Lotvic - Many thanks for your detailed explanation - I hadn't realised it was necessary to create the list first!
I'll have a go and let you know the result.

Sea Urchin 11:13 08 Dec 2008

A very good detailed description of how to set up a Mail Merge from lotvic - yes, as lotvic says you must begin by having the database set up in Access (or elsewhere). You are then "merging" the database details with the label details in Word.

tonyq 13:39 08 Dec 2008

Pompey,
I've found the following site very helpful(4 Videos)on trying to figure out "Mail Merge"
click here
Hope it is of help to you.

Pompey 14:18 28 Dec 2008

I've just realised I haven't come back to you in response to your helpful suggestions.
I managed to produce my list using the videos through the link tonyq posted, for which very many thanks. Many thanks also to everyone else who took the trouble to respond and make helpful suggestions. I hope you all had a good Christmas and wish you all the best for 2009!

Sea Urchin 16:12 28 Dec 2008

Thanks for the feedback - always helpful. I hope you got your labels sorted in time to send your cards :@)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone