mail I did not send is being bounced to me

mandydog 05:02 13 Oct 2006

I am getting desparate, and hope you will be willing to advise me . Attempts to contact my ISPs [freeserve and orangehome] just get bounced. I cannot find a contact email.

I am hoping you , or someone , can advise me.

I am getting plagued by messages like the one whose headers [with altered email name and address] I am forwarding here. It seems to claim that a message from Graham Barker was sent from [email protected]> to [email protected]

I do not know Graham Barker and nzfp is not part of my address. [The supposed recipient and the string before the @ is different each time. The only valid name before the @ for this address is myemailname. i.e. My whole address is [email protected] I am the only user of this freeserve address and I certainly never sent any email either from this address as [email protected] nor to [email protected].
I use Eudora 7.01 sponsored mode on Windows XP, and have never used Thunderbird [mentioned in the Headers below].

I tried opening a new email address on orangehome.co.uk and notified all my friends. I changed my dominant personality to orangehome, and now, only 1 week later, I am getting similar emails from orangehome mail daemon.

I have scanned for viruses (using CA antivirus software) and also Lavasoft and the system is reported clean. I think I have only ever opened attachments from known sources, and always check first for viruses.

I am getting desparate. Can you advise me PLEASE?
I do not even understand why these rejects are delivered to me. I tried myself to send an email to
[email protected]
and the system bounced it back to me saying the address did not exist!
Mandydog

This is a typical of the headers in the bounced emails. The bodies are wierd and I have removed them
X-Sieve: Server Sieve 2.2
Envelope-to:
X-ME-UUID: [email protected]
Date: 9 Oct 2006 16:40:47 +0900
To: [email protected]
Subject: *** SPAM *** failure notice
X-me-spamlevel: med
X-me-spamrating: 89.595341

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at nsvm08.zaq.ne.jp.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

[email protected]>:
Sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.1.1)

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: [email protected]>
Received: (qmail 32881 invoked from network); 9 Oct 2006 16:40:45 +0900
Received: from unknown (HELO ce1-ats32.aaanet.ru) (213.27.39.15)
by nsvm08.zaq.ne.jp with SMTP; 9 Oct 2006 16:40:45 +0900
Received: (qmail 5221 invoked from network); Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:47:00 +0400
Received: from unknown (HELO 80.80.107.202) (80.80.107.202)
by ce1-ats32.aaanet.ru with SMTP; Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:47:00 +0400
Message-ID: [email protected]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 11:39:22 +0400
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.7 (Windows/20060909)
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: [email protected]
Subject: exhilarating
Content-Type: multipart/related;
boundary="------------040402070806040001030001"

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

STREETWORK 07:05 13 Oct 2006

This looks like the emails are bouncing from Japan or east asia.

Your email address book may contain addresses you have not put there, so check them.

If you do not have many in addesses, delete them all and enter them again.

Run any anti-virus after updating it.

If you know how to download and run hijack this and post you log to a website for an expert to evaluate it...

mandydog 08:27 13 Oct 2006

Thankyou. How do I "If you know how to download and run hijack this and post you log to a website for an expert to evaluate it...". Is there a program or web page I need to look at?

xania 08:57 13 Oct 2006

I suspect that your email address has become know to spammers who are faking it to send e-mails. An old email address of mine still has not been closed by my ISP and currently holds over 300,000 of these. The only thing you can do is create a new email address and ump the old one. I have more robust system now - my man e-mail address is only know to freinds and family - I also have a gmail acont which I use for everything else - this account allows me to forward all incoming emails to my provate address. Not only does the gmail account block almost all spam for me, but, if it becomes compromised, I can easily dump it and my provate account remains secure.

johnnyrocker 10:01 13 Oct 2006

it may be that someone you know has a virus which is mailing out under all the names in their address book, ( i say this because your new e mail should resolve this ) as it has not i feel that the problem has only been added to as they have a new address to send from. if your friends list is not to big advise them to get av checks.

johnny.

DieSse 10:09 13 Oct 2006

It's just another form of spam - ignore and delete.

Just becuase it says and looks like a genuine email bounce - that doesn't mean it is - it's easy to fake an email that looks the same as a bounce.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?