A mail folder got deleted - can spyware do that?

beckstrous 09:42 19 Sep 2006

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me. I have searched this forum (and the internet) but I cannot find an answer. I

share a computer with my boyfriend and we each have an email archive in Outlook. I have an up-to-date

version of the free copy of Grisoft AVG and I scanned the system last night to find no viruses.

Last night his email archive wasn't there. When I was last on the computer on Sunday it was and I have

no idea where it's gone or how it got deleted. There is a slim possibility one of us deleted it by

accident of course, but that's very unlikely. He gets a lot of spam and I was wondering if there was

anything out there that wasn't a virus but that could do something like that i.e. delete an email

folder?

I noticed a strange error on the PC last night to do with a .exe that I have never heard of. I really

should have written it down but because I was scanning the PC With AVG and also with Spybot S&D (which

also turned up nothing apart from a couple of cookies) I just clicked OK and it disappeared.

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what happened?

Thanks

Beck

johnnyrocker 09:45 19 Sep 2006

if xp first try system restore, which may resolve.

johnny.

beckstrous 10:07 19 Sep 2006

Thanks. Is that easy to do?

I'm fairly PC savvy but I've never done a system restore before.

I'm becoming a bit paranoid in case there's a keylogger or something but as I said, I've got AVG and it's bang up-to-date.

johnnyrocker 10:34 19 Sep 2006

start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore, when run choose a date prior to incident and follow the prompts.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?