Mail Delivery Error not from me, compromised?

rickf 20:00 11 Jul 2010

HI,
Suddenly got lots of Mail Delivery Error from various sources. None from me but a few seems to say I had sent message when I had no.Has my Laptop been compromised. Done a full scan but nothing came up.

stlucia 20:54 11 Jul 2010

Probably some spammer has chosen your email address by random chance, or because he has seen it somewhere, and used it as his "From" address to hide his true address. I don't know how it's done, but it can be.

I've had it happen to me a few times on one of my Madasafish accounts, but it stops after a day or so. I checked with Madasafish and they confirmed that my account was not compromised in any way.

rickf 21:12 11 Jul 2010

Thanks for the info. Relieved I am sure.

mgmcc 21:51 11 Jul 2010

The usual cause of this problem is that SOMEONE ELSE, who has your email address in his address book, has been infected with a virus and malicious emails are now being sent with your email address (and all others in the address book) in the "From:" field. This means that any messages which bounce will come back to you as the APPARENT sender even though you didn't actually send them.

As suggested, the problem normally goes away after a few days.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?