Macrium reflect, just a query really

bumpkin 14:43 11 Mar 2015
Answered

I have been using Reflect for a while but only for cloning. I find it good and a lot more user friendly than Acronis. Just tried Imaging to another drive but it only took 4mins for 20GB before compression to 10, does that seem right. I can test it by restoring it of course but don't want to risk that if something is wrong.

robin_x 15:31 11 Mar 2015

Once or twice I've had 1GB per 30secs to ext USB2 HDD.

Usually, 1GB/min or a lttle over.

Occasionally, 1GB/2mins.

I always use Max compression in Advanced Settings.

Overall, speed will depend on content and how compressed it is to start with and also if you have lots of small files compared to big files.

---

There is a Verify option for each Image you have made. Click the Restore Tab (Top left-between Disk Image and Log tabs)

Personally, I just prefer to browse to where the image is saved and double-click to Mount it.

Use File Explorer as normal to browse the Mounted drive and copy any files if you want instead of making a full Restore.

You should get an error or it will be obvious if something is wrong with the Image file.

bumpkin 15:43 11 Mar 2015

Thanks, just tried it to an external USB drive and 7mins. I just wonder if it has backed up the whole drive.

bumpkin 16:00 11 Mar 2015

If I decide to test it (which I am a little concerned about at the moment)Can I do it within Windows or only from the DVD.

robin_x 16:07 11 Mar 2015

Go to the .mrimg file on the ext drive and double-click it.

A Backup Selection dialog box will open

click here

Click checkbox to select partition(s). A drive letter is automatically allocated.

Click the lower two boxes too (Protected files and Temp Write).

Explore as normal.

Right click a drive in My Computer and choose the Macrium option to Unmount when you are finshed.

---

To restore a partition that is in use, eg C:\, you can only do that from the boot CD/DVD/Flash.

robin_x 16:12 11 Mar 2015

Seeing as this is first time for you.

Mount and browse to make sure it looks alright. Run the Verify while in Windows.

Then boot and you can select Restore Source Destination etc and will get a final warning that this Will Overwrite (after the Finish option).

You can duck out then if you want.

The only true test for a System Image is actually to do it.

You can make anothe Image as backup if you want.

I keep several.

You should make new ones regularly anyway and delete only when you need the disk space.

john bunyan 17:04 11 Mar 2015

robintheumpteenth

Sorry to intrude, bumpkin, with a supplementary. I tried (with a small laptop with no DVD writer / player to make an emergency boot USB using a new Sandisc 8 Gig Cuuzer Blade flash drive. This failed - something about "could not access first sector". I formatted the flash drive - both quick and thoroughly - still would not accept it. (Macrium Reflect after making an image)

Any suggestions?

robin_x 17:07 11 Mar 2015

Start a new thread please John

bumpkin 17:12 11 Mar 2015

No problems John, we are both asking about Macrium and robin seems to be wised up on this, you are welcome to share the thread.

bumpkin 17:16 11 Mar 2015

robin, posted before I saw your reply.

robin_x 17:20 11 Mar 2015

It's OK. But simple queries often spill onto multiple pages :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?