Macrium Reflect image fails due to VSS problem

john bunyan 19:13 13 Sep 2017
Answered

I have been trying , on a young relative's laptop, to make a Macrium image. At first there were a number of issues, but these were mostly resolved by running chkdsk and scannow. It still fails with the log: "Windows Events: Warning: event 12348; Volume Shadow Copy Service : VSS was denied access to the root of volume \?\volume{f....} \ ... Check security on the volume and try the operation again.

Having Googled, I set VSS to automatic, made sure it was running. I also carried out checks as recommended via command prompt and no "writers" had VSS errors. According to Macrium forums this is a Windows 10 issue. I would be grateful if anyone has comments. (Not scannow nor chkdsk)

john bunyan 19:16 13 Sep 2017

PS the error when reported came as the copying started and was in red: Backup aborted! Unable to read from disk - Error Code 1117 the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:42 13 Sep 2017

type:

icacls C:\ /grant system:f

from an elevated command prompt

this used to work for windows 7 backup problems with VSS.

john bunyan 19:52 13 Sep 2017

FB

Did that but it did not solve it. This VSS issue has so many suggested "cures". If I can't solve it , what is the next best free imaging software? ( Not ATI) Paragon ou Easus?

bumpkin 20:13 13 Sep 2017

You could try this click here but I am unsure if still available.

john bunyan 20:23 13 Sep 2017

Site Impossible on iPod ? Watch ad?

john bunyan 20:37 13 Sep 2017

Will revert tomorrow'as my iPhone does not like the site tonight!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:00 13 Sep 2017

Run it from a Macrium rescue (win PE) disc / USB

john bunyan 07:06 14 Sep 2017

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

I will make a rescue USB. However I want a proper image. On my desktop, also with 64 bit Windows 10 I have just used Macrium to do another of my regular images. I will follow this up later - I think Macrium offer a download to correct the issue

john bunyan 09:12 14 Sep 2017

In spite of editing the registry entry for VSS in the laptop to the same as the desktop, it still fails due to error 12348 - VSS denied access to the root... etc Giving up for now;

john bunyan 09:29 14 Sep 2017

Trying free EaseUS TODO. Will report back if it runs.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache