lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly

Newuser3068 15:14 03 May 2004

My Dell Inspiron 8200 runs XP Home edition. I have been having a recurrent problem whenever I log on to the internet. After a few minutes I get the following error report:

The system is shutting down...initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe terminated unexpectedly with status code - 1073741819. The system will now shut down and restart.

After a 60 second countdown the system then shuts down and restarts, and there's nothing I can do to stop it.
The time that it takes for this problem to crop up is very variable - sometimes a minute or two, sometimes up to half an hour. It seems to happen quickest when I log into my home page (was Freeserve, now Wanadoo) but I don't know whether this is just coincidence. I cannot find any reference to lsass.exe on the Microsoft Knowledge Base.
Anyone got any ideas please?

VoG II 15:16 03 May 2004

Sasser virus click here

Newuser3068 16:25 03 May 2004

You're a gent (or am I being sexist?) and a scholar. Macafee's Stinger found and destroyed the Sasser worm. Thanks a million. I have told my friend in no uncertain terms that he MUST update his AV software regularly.

Dumble452 16:28 03 May 2004

My son just had this for the same reason, and had not downloaded the latest Windows updates. He has now set Windows updates to automatic.

johnnyrocker 16:34 03 May 2004

i posted a problem regarding this a couple of times on here but never got a solution, it was not a problem as sygate used to block it making outgoing contact and the remote machine was also blocked from access by sygate, my question is this, as i have not had any alerts in/out for a while do these things have an expiry time?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?