lsass.exe shuting down my computer.

bda72 09:40 24 Aug 2004

I am having problems with my laptop when going online. I have only just bought a modem card for it and have not had any problems before. I can only assume this problem only occurs when going online and I must of transfered this worm/virus from my main computer a while ago.
Shortly after going online I get a warning message about LSA Shell and if I click don't send I get another message about lsass.exe and the computer will shut down in 59 seconds. If I don't click the first warning then I get a bit longer online but not enough time to download anything or do and online scan.
So far I have tried running stinger and the Symantec sasser removal tool from safe mode with system restore turned off as Symantec stated but both tests come up clean.
I realise other people have had this problem before and have posted it here but I have tried some of the suggested fixes and nothing has found it so far and I cannot update from the microsoft site.

As this is my work computer I will be very greatfull of any help received.

Barry.

Urotsukidoji 09:53 24 Aug 2004

its the sasser worm - or one of its variants.

when you see the message

click start>run type "shutdown /a" without the quotes click OK

this will stop the countdown.

then go to microsoft website and look for the sasser worm fixes.

then go to a shop and buy and AV package with firewall.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:05 24 Aug 2004

I foyu are running XP turn off system restore and then turn it back on, as well.

G

bda72 08:22 25 Aug 2004

That shutdown command is a handy one to know. I have finally managed to get windows to start updating but I think it will take me forever with dial up. I only dropped my guard with this machine because it had no internet connection yet as soon as I install a modem it's already riddle with worms.

Anti-virus, firewall, popup blocker, spam blocker and spyware blockers up and running and a heightened sence of paranoia has been reached.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone