Low Virtual Memory problem with XP Home

fentong 13:17 29 Jul 2004

I am getting the message
Windows - Virtual Memory too low
Your system is low on virtual memory etc ...
when just using a few apps like 2-3 internet pages and 1 word document.
I have upgraded memory to 512MB, I have used the Hijackthis utility to check out any spyware and their doesn't seem to be any.
The page size is set to 168MB minimum and 336MB maximum which I thought would be large enough and the problem still exists. Can anyone help.

JoeC 13:32 29 Jul 2004

and then changed the virtual memory to 750. No problems since. : }

dagwoood 13:50 29 Jul 2004

From the searches I've done in the past with regards to setting Virtual memory size there's a lot of different opinions with regards the to the "best" size/configuration of your virtual memory.

On the whole though it's recommended you set your virtual memory size to at least one and a half times the amount of RAM you have on your system(unless you have a large amount of RAM and aren't using memory intensive applications). Also set the minimum and maximum amounts at the same value. This stops your system from keep changing the size all the time(effectively causing a slow down).

With the amount of RAM on your system I'm surprised that your being prompted you haven't got enough virtual memory. It'd probably be a good idea to go into task manager, click on the processes tab and see what's using your memory, you may have a "nasty" on your system that's using it.

dagwoood.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017