Low on Virtual Memory!! Help needed please!!

mumtoannabel 23:46 24 Nov 2003

I am operating on Windows 2000 and I keep getting an error message coming up saying "Low on Virtual Memory please increase blah blah blah"

Can anyone advise me of how to resolve this problem?

Would be very grateful.

Sam

©®@$? 23:51 24 Nov 2003

click here

click here

and i think it is recommended to defrag your computer before changing the swap file

how much memory have you got installed

©®@$? 23:53 24 Nov 2003

To create a Permanent Swap file
When your computer is running low on physical memory and more is needed to complete a task, Windows 2000 uses hard drive space to simulate physical memory. In Windows 2000, this is known as Virtual Memory and often called the Pagefile. The default size of the virtual memory pagefile (appropriately named Pagefile.sys) created during installation is 1.5 times the amount of physical memory on your computer.
Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click System. This launches the System Properties dialog box.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Performance Options...
Click Change. This allows you to alter the size of the permanent swap file by setting your own parameters.
Under Paging file size for selected drive, type a new paging file size in the Initial size field in MB. This gives the swap file a starting size. Enter a new value for the maximum size in the Maximum size field in MB. Click Set to save the settings. The size of the Initial size field and maximum size should be the same value,1.5 times the amount of physical memory. This creates a permanent swap file. Windows may prompt you to restart the computer for these changes to take effect.

mumtoannabel 00:00 25 Nov 2003

Its a 60Gb machine???? does that help????

Sam :-/

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone