Low to no sig.strength on PC - Excellent on Laptop

sproutout 01:18 22 Aug 2006

Could anyone offer any advice I have recently bought a Buffalo WYR-G54 Router & Buffalo USB2 adapter the PC using the adapter has a 0% to 6% connection strength and constantly drops connection, where as my Centrino Laptop has 75% in the same place. Ive updated drivers, moved the router, etc - is this a feature of USB adapters? would i be better off with a wireless network card?
I dont really want to go down that route as have a small form factor pc with no spare slots. so if there is a better way / better USB adapter that anyone knows of ?

mgmcc 07:34 22 Aug 2006

It certainly isn't a feature of USB wireless adapters generally - I use a Belkin one with the same Buffalo router without problems. If you are plugging the USB adapter directly into a port at the back of the computer, it might help to use an extension cable so you can move the adapter about for a better signal.

Try changing to a different channel number, for example 6 or 3 instead of the default 11.

sproutout 10:05 22 Aug 2006

Thanks for response, Ive plugged it into front and rear usb sockets, forgot to add that router is upstairs and pc downstairs so no line of sight but in a straightline they are only 20 feet apart. Tried different channels and no change, not got a wireless phone, even unplugged the microwave - maybe extension cable is the cheapest/easiest way to go...

katebush 10:17 23 Aug 2006

- Any way you can connect an external antenna to the adapter?
- Stick with either channel 1,6, or 11.
- Try to use a good USB extender cable (prbably $5) and locate the adapter away from the PC.
- Try to change the direction of the router's antennals.

sproutout 21:54 23 Aug 2006

Thanks for the suggestions - went out and bought a linksys USB adapter as has the high gain antenna and is working fine now - not great that I had to spend more money but at least its working - should have gone with Linksys in the 1st place

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?