low milage laptop cd drive not recognised

naineysman 17:42 19 Jun 2010

My friends daughters Dell Inspiron 6000 has hardly been used in 2 years and now we find the cd drive is not working. (It opens and closes and we hear something happening but not full spin up)It does not show a CD in my computer when one is in the tray.

The drive works fine in another machine, should I try adding new hardware wizard?

northumbria61 17:58 19 Jun 2010

You could - also go to Device Manager - under DVD/CD drives click on details of your listed drive and then "Update Driver Software" and select " Search automatically for updated driver software". This may help.

woodchip 18:01 19 Jun 2010

If this is a Desktop, you should only need to change the drive with power off. If its a IDE drive you need to set the jumper to same, i.e Master or Slave on one edge of drive

woodchip 18:03 19 Jun 2010

PS drivers not needed Windows loads them, other than Writing Drivers like for a burning program i.e NERO

naineysman 18:05 19 Jun 2010

The drive shows in devices as having an issue (yellow triangle) but when I ask it to update driver it says it can't. Also in troubleshooting it says the driver is corrupt.

Its a laptop (as in the title?) but thanks anyway, all suggestions welcome.

naineysman 18:10 19 Jun 2010

Im actually trying to load Kaspersky IS 2010 which I have a CD for, is there a way to download it then activate it with our code, (the web site wants payment before download?)

rdave13 18:22 19 Jun 2010

In device manager right click the drive and select uninstall. Reboot and Windows should reinstall the drivers.

naineysman 18:24 19 Jun 2010

Ill try that but Ive now managed to install a trial version of Kaspersky and activated it with our code so that parts done (not sure why I couldn't before but heyho)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone