Low memory, insufficient space

Woodmouse 06:47 05 Nov 2003

Running Windows XP Professional, 1.8Ghz, 512Mb Ram, Sapphire Radeon 9600 128Mb. Have had so many problems, I decided to start again and format the hard drive - 80Gb. Re-installed Windows, then attempted to install Flight Simulator 2004. During the installation, the following message appears . . . Low memory, insufficient space or corrupted cabinet file. A similar message appears when trying to install other games. Has anyone any ideas as to why this could be happening on what seems to me a brand new system? Could the fault lay with the BIOS? Please help - it nearly all went out the window !

powerless 06:52 05 Nov 2003

Have a spare computer handy? Try and install the game to another computer, that we you can see if there is something wrong with the CD.

simonp1 07:07 05 Nov 2003

Your system is fine by the spec standards...do what powerless sayd then came back, but if you clean installed and well then their should not be a problem here.

What other games dont work....do any games work.

Woodmouse 15:19 05 Nov 2003

I have been advised to re-format my hard drive in DOS instead of Windows. I am hoping that this proceedure will clean the hard drive once and for all. I will then re-install Windows, and leave the 80Gb Hard Drive as one partitiion, and install all my software programs there. I will report back on Thursday 6th November.

plankton 16:00 05 Nov 2003

Check your Virtual Memory by going into Control Panel / system / performance / virtual memory. This may need expanding to cater for the games?

Woodmouse 07:16 06 Nov 2003

Thanks Plankton - I will look at my settings tonight. I tried to format my hard drive in DOS, but failed. When I typed FDISK at the A prompt, I was unable to identify the partition I needed, what with all the deleting partitions and creating partitions, etc. After much deliberation, I decided to revert back to the Windows System disk to format the C drive for me. This was successful, and I am being extra careful when I choose which programs to re-install. I am keeping my fingers crossed. If I am unable to install Flight Sim 2004 without any errors appearing, I will be upset to say the least.

simonp1 07:35 06 Nov 2003

try this program...it will see if you have a problem with your system.

click here

Woodmouse 17:29 07 Nov 2003

I have been using Partition Magic maybe too much - may have partitioned the hard drive more than is shown. I will check this out by making my second hard drive the master and installing Windows XP on that. Another possibilty is the graphics card - has the 128Mb memory become unstable. I am now seeing horizontal lines on the monitor, slowly moving up the screen. I will be spending this weekend working on the PC. Hopefully I will discover what has been causing the problem of 'low memory' and report back.

plankton 18:27 07 Nov 2003

How many partitions, and what sizes? XP does prefer NTFS format (although it works with FAT32) why I dont know.....

wizkidwall_03 13:49 10 Nov 2003

i'm thinking it's a problem inside to case have you had it apart ??
it sounds like your graphics card may be coming lose this could cause it to belive that their is not enough memory and could be causeing the lines
good luck tell me how you got on
WIZKID

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?