Low Disk Space

polypody 18:19 17 Jul 2009

Recently my PC has shown the message 'Low Disk Space in Recovery (D:)' etc. I've deleted items in the Recycle Bin, have deleted Temporary Internet files etc. but to no avail. Can anyone suggest an answer to this problem. I operate Windows Vista.

Pineman100 18:26 17 Jul 2009

Is it a Dell?

I recently came across the same problem on a friend's Dell. The recovery partition was being reported as almost full.

It turned out that - for reasons best known to themselves - Dell had set up the computer to do regular data backups to the recovery partition, so - understandably - after a while the partition filled up.

You might want to see whether this is the case on your computer (Dell or not).

polypody 18:30 17 Jul 2009

Yes it is a Dell - an inspiron 530. What should I do?

Pineman100 10:42 18 Jul 2009

As I don't have that setup to look at, I'm not able to give you a precise step-by-step procedure. But broadly I would delete all the automatically created data backup files in drive D: and switch off the automatic backup procedure.

For chapter and verse on doing this, it might be best to talk to Dell's technical support people.

WARNING: Do be careful what you delete. On no account delete any recovery data. If you're in any doubt, don't delete.

Having done this, you will of course be without any backup protection, so you should make plans to set up an alternative backup strategy. My own preference is for an external hard drive, to which I regularly save a full system image using Acronis True Image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?