Low Disc Space on Windows 8,1

DAKAR 16:10 23 Mar 2015
Answered

Hi all I have 2.75 Gb of 675Gb free space on my lap top running Win 8.1 I do not have any music of thousands of photos,or any big apps,so I was wondering what could be using the disc space and how I could check and reclaim the disc space Many thanks for any help Dakar

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:14 23 Mar 2015
  john bunyan 18:28 23 Mar 2015

In your case, if you updated from Windows 8, see if there is a a folder called windows.old. Read and do all the stuff on the other thread and come back. Usually the Operating system and programmes are less than 100 Gigabytes.

DAKAR 09:52 24 Mar 2015

Thanks Fruit Bat and John bunyan Will do as you suggested and get back to you Regards dakar

ganesh naik 10:50 24 Mar 2015

try using wise care 365 free and in that disk eraser option is there run it

MarekCRO 14:17 24 Mar 2015

You can also try with cCleaner.

Or search on Google something like "disk space analyzer free" and find program which will make analysis so you can see what folder / program is problem.

It could be virus or defective disk.

For sure, it's not Windows only.

DAKAR 17:37 24 Mar 2015

Thanks ganesh naik and MarekCRO I have followed Fruit Bat and John bunyans'advice. I have downloaded and run a scan on Treesize,but not sure what to delete,I have run cc cleaner and it has only left the latest restore point,so that appears ok. Any Help on what to look for and delete in Treesize will be appreciated Regards Dakar

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:46 24 Mar 2015

Treesize only shows you what folders are using the most space.

Sometimes you have to be ruthless and get rid of those programs you never or rarely use and only keep the day to day stuff on the laptop and transfer everything else to an external drive (they are cheap enough nowadays).

john bunyan 19:06 24 Mar 2015
Answer

I would look ay your self generated data, such as films/ videos, music,etc. Are you sure your drive is not partitioned and you are looking at the C drive only? I think it unusual, unless you are into films, that you have so much used space.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?