Low Density Memory

mrtreacle 21:08 11 Feb 2007

Hi

Completely baffled as to whether some memory i have been looking at for upgrade is low density or not
Its called Kingston Value RAM and has a description of

1GB DDR PC2700 333MHz 128x64 DDR 184pin KVR333X64C25/1G

The spec sheet also mentions 16 modules 64 x8

Can anyone confirm this is low density and/or confirm they have used this memory OK please ?

My motherboard is Microstar 6701 made for Medion (MD5000)and is shown as compatible on the Kingston site
But i am told low density is best

Help thanks in advance Richard

Dragon_Heart 01:22 12 Feb 2007

The density, high or low, of a memory module refers to the number of chips that are on that module. Different computers require the memory module to be built with a different number of chips. i.e. There is more than one way to build a 1 GB memory module.

All low density 1 GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each side) using 64Mx8 device whilst high density 1 GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each side) using 128Mx4 device.
Basically :-

Low density modules have 100% compatibility with ALL systems and ALL chip sets as they fully follow JEDEC ( Joint Electron Device Engineering Council ) guidelines.

High density modules only have 10% compatibility ( mainly designed for used in slower server chip sets ) and are very slow as they break all JEDEC guidelines and are usually about half the price when compared with low density modules.

Hope this helps

mrtreacle 18:42 13 Feb 2007

Hi Dragon-Heart

Many thanks will check carefully when upgrading

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires