"low connectivity"

Dannyb 12:58 21 Feb 2007

I have just bought a new laptop pc with Windows XP SP2 and have at home cable broadband with Telewest. When I connect my laptop via an ethernet cable to my router I get the message "low connectivity". I have spoken to telewest who tell me that I shouldn't have SP2 installed. Sureley that is not right. According to them I should only have SP1 installed as SP2 is incompatible with their system. Can anybody advise as to how I could overcome this problem, apart from the obvious, change my ISP. Are there any settings that could be altered to sort this problem out.
Thanks

Dannyb 15:41 21 Feb 2007

bump

[email protected] 15:44 21 Feb 2007

i dont think ms support sp1 any longer, surely this isnt right. my ex uses telewest with vista, do you live out in the sticks?

birdface 15:52 21 Feb 2007

I am with NTL{same company}But on a desktop and have no bother with SP2.

birdface 15:55 21 Feb 2007

Try ,Tools Inernet Options,Connections.Lan Settings,And tick automatically detect settings.See if that helps.

birdface 16:04 21 Feb 2007

Can you connect you laptop directly to the Ethernet cable and see if it works Ok that way,

wids001 16:06 21 Feb 2007

I too run with Telewest and have a desktop & a laptop connected to my router via wi-fi connections and my main desktop connected via cable to the router. All run XP with SP2.

The laptop has a 54b card and 99% of the time connectivity is Excellent. The desktop which uses a 108b usb adaptor rarely, if ever, shows more than a very low connectivity. However, this doesn't seem to affect the performance at all!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires