Loud noise from ? computer

Liza 19:01 20 Mar 2006

I hear this off and on. I did not think it came from within my computer at first so thought little of it. But one day my neighbour came over and whilst we were talking we both heard this noise it was like a door banging shut furiously. I thought somebody upstairs or wherever didnt care for the rest of us but my visitor said it was from my computer. But how come, where from, I couldnt for the life of me think what was causing it. Has anyone else experienced such a thing? Liza

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:38 20 Mar 2006

Computers normally whine or clatter, sometimes alarms sound for overheat.

Load bangs are usually terminal straight away.
CD breaking in drive, PSU dying or motherboard blowing.

The only thing I can think of is possibly hard drive heads catching on platters.

SO I suggest you back up anything important immeditely.

Liza 22:22 20 Mar 2006

Thank you for your response. Motherboard? I can't imagine anything there. Hard drives, probably. There are altogether 4. The main one, C: drive, 80 gig, the scsi 9 gig and 2 SATAs, 80 g each. My computer is running okay except that it sometimes does not log on but stops before it gets on to XP startup and gives a black screen and hangs so I switch off and start again. AOL wont start straightaway, I need to chase AOL about this. I've backedup on Ghost and individually on CDs. I dont have problems otherwise. Do I need to check the drives? Liza

terryf 22:34 20 Mar 2006

After you have backed up data, go to drive manufacturers sites, Maxtor for instance will allow you to download a test prog called Maxblast that goes on a floppy, you boot from floppy and it does a comprehensive drive test. I don't know whether it will work on any make of drive

DieSse 22:35 20 Mar 2006

If the loud bangs did not stop the computer dead in it's tracks, then it won't be the motherboard, PSU, or drives. If the heads on a hard drive make enough noise to hear - then it isn't working any more!!

I can't imagine what such a noise would be also - in many, many years, I've only come across loud bangs when power supplies *blow-up*.

Personally, unless it's some kind of sound-effect via the speakers - I wouldn't think it was the computer at all.

Liza 12:43 21 Mar 2006

Thank you Terryf and DieSse. I dont have a maxtor but have seagate and hitachi.

Since you say, DieSse, that it might not be the computer I too was thinking likewise, probably the husband and wife upstairs, new tenants. But then I've had my computer for over a year and this has happened long before they came. Probably there's a door upstairs they use occasionally and when left open it goes bang shut with the wind. I'll have to find out from this couple.

Meanwhile thank you for your advice.
Liza

Liza 12:44 21 Mar 2006

Thank you Terryf and DieSse. I dont have a maxtor but have seagate and hitachi.

Since you say, DieSse, that it might not be the computer I too was thinking likewise, probably the husband and wife upstairs, new tenants. But then I've had my computer for over a year and this has happened long before they came. Probably there's a door upstairs they use occasionally and when left open it goes bang shut with the wind. I'll have to find out from this couple.

Meanwhile thank you for your advice.
Liza

wee eddie 14:16 21 Mar 2006

It could be something similar to "New Mail" or another type of Windows sound.

If it still happens with no speakers - Report back.

wee eddie 00:43 08 Apr 2006

Door banging > Someone leaving a Chat Room

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?