loud kerplunking noise when i shutdown

arris 14:16 06 Mar 2006

Kept having a weird problem where my computer would switch itself on after going into standby. Was told to disable all wake events in the bios, now when I switch off computer the hard disk no longer goes off silently but instead makes a loud kerplunking noise as if it's stopping dead. I was told it's safe to disable those wake events but the noise my hard disk makes when i shutdown can't be right can it?

Gongoozler 14:20 06 Mar 2006

Hi arris. The hard drive should vever make anything more than a quiet ticking noise, regardless of your wake settings. Have you confirmed that the noise is really from the hard drive and not another part of the computer? Have a listen here to some of the noises a hard drive can make click here

AaNnDdYy 14:20 06 Mar 2006

i wouldnt have though so but sorry i cant offer advice but it dont sound right

arris 14:37 06 Mar 2006

none of them noises are the same as this, and yes the noise is coming from the disk. Normally it's almost silent and I can just hear the disk coming to a quiet whirring stop. But now, like I said, it kerplunks loudly and I know its the disk because it sounds like something coming to a rapid halt.

If I have to enable the wake events again, do you know if there is any other way of stopping my computer from turning itself on again?

Gongoozler 15:05 06 Mar 2006

I have all my computer wake events disabled, and my hard drive doesn't make any clunking noises. I certainly wouldn't trust my data to a hard drive that makes such noises. With top quality hard drives costing under £40 I don't think it's worth the risk click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?