Loud CPU fan

ooermrs 20:33 27 Sep 2006

My motherboard died a couple of months ago and was replaced with an ABIT IG-81. Before the change the fan was whisper quiet, now the same fan is really, really loud. I was told there was no way to reduce the noise as it was the motherboard ! Anyone out there got any ideas ??

Totally-braindead 20:38 27 Sep 2006

If the fan is connected to the motherboard with the sensor connector then they are probably right. Have a look at the manual for the motherboard and see if theres anything in the BIOS settings that can be altered. Failing that you could buy a different CPU fan which may well be quieter but I don't know which one I would recommend, hopefully someone else can help.

MIKE 21:31 27 Sep 2006

Try this site

#click here

I havn't used one but I'm told they are good

keef66 11:45 28 Sep 2006

I replaced my noisy stock cpu cooler with an Akasa which can be controlled either automatically via a temp sensor which you attach to the heatsink, or manually via a little control knob which fits in a spare pci slot at the back of the pc.

I chose the manual option and find it cools adequately on the minimum setting which is virtually inaudible.

just over a tenner; money well spent.

Madscot_uk 13:39 28 Sep 2006

I use the artic cooler 7 pro and it is inaudable above general pc related noise. The only time its audible is when the PC is booting up and the fan speed control on the motherboard hasnt kicked in. Be aware tho it is a big beast and needs space in your case.

But if your motherboard doesnt have that option it might be worth going with something like keef66 mentioned with a manual control option.

Freezer pro for £15: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?