Lotus SmartSuite ME 9.7

Biggles no more 15:02 28 Apr 2003

About to install.

If there is anyone out there who has installed this software over the old SmartSuite 97, can they tell me if I will see any drastic changes or will it look pretty much the same?

Taran 17:19 28 Apr 2003

About the only visual change you'll see is if you install it onto a Windows XP computer.

Everything looks almost the same in general as the older versions on other Windows systems. Some people criticise SmartSuite for this but I think there's a lot to recommend it.

There are a couple of new features for you to get to grips with like FastSite for website creation, but in general, if you like and know Approach, 1,2,3 and Freelance, you'll be right at home from the outset.

I hope you enjoy your new SmartSuite.

Good luck with it.

Regards

Taran

Belatucadrus 17:34 28 Apr 2003

Recently installed Smartsuite ME 9.5 @ £14.99 from Amazon click here , because 97 wasn't XP compatible. It looks much the same, the organiser has had some cosmetic changes, Screencam has vanished and it has a new FTP prog for posting to the internet. It also has a web page viewer built into Smartcentre. Other than that it looks and works much the same, I've only had it for a week so I'm sure there is more to discover. I'm guessing 9.7 has a few more bells and whistles, but have no intention of upgrading again.

Biggles no more 13:55 01 May 2003

Everyone

Biggles no more 13:57 01 May 2003

I thought only versions 9.7 onwards were XP compatible.

-pops- 14:26 01 May 2003

You are right 9.7 and above are the ones that are XP compatible.

It is unfortunate that Lotus described their products by year reference (the 97) and then changed to version number (the 9 point 7), especially as they are so similar. It has caused loads of confusion.

Have you installed yet? Is it running OK?

Brian

Belatucadrus 15:13 01 May 2003

loaded 9.5 on XP home without receiving any Microsoft warnings and so far everything works exactly as expected. If I find any compatability issues I'll let you know, but so far so good.

-pops- 15:25 01 May 2003

Please don't misunderstand me. The 95 version may work under XP but 9.7 is the earliest version that IBM (Lotus) said was XP compatible.

There was a definite incompatibility of some parts of SS 97 and of parts of SS ME. I can't remember the detail now but I know it didn't fully function when loaded into Windows XP.

Brian

Taran 16:59 01 May 2003

The incompatibilities mentioned here centred mainly on cross table printing from Lotus Approach.

This was not the only issue, but it was considered the one of the most serious so a download patch of a few megabytes was issued to cure the problem for SmartSuite Millennium 9.5

Belatucadrus 18:26 01 May 2003

Just launched Approach for the first time and got the following popup window " Approach 9.x has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows and might not run as expected. Printing from a crosstable might not work as expected. For more information, contact Lotus." Thanks for the warning, though considering how much I used Approach I'm not over worried.

Biggles no more 16:16 03 May 2003

I use Crosstabs a hell of a lot in my discographies, so I am glad my version IS compatible with XP!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?