Lotus SmartSuite

Biggles no more 14:14 31 Mar 2003

I am about to upgrade from Lotus SS 97 (the 1988 version) to Lotus SS Millenium 9.7. In previous upgrades, there was no visible change following the upgrade except that each time I opened an existing file for the first time, it carried out a "conversion" procedure. Actual changes to the program appeared to be minor and mainly cosmetic. My reason for upgrading this time is because a 5 year-old program has probably run its course and I want to prepare for XP.

By the way, the last upgrade actually did not overwrite the previous version but installed in a different folder and I had to transfer the work files over. Anyone know the reasons for this and if it is likely to do the same thing again?

DieSse 14:21 31 Mar 2003

"Anyone know the reasons for this" - because Lotus decided that's how they would do it.

"is [it] likely to do the same thing again" - I don't know, but does it really matter? However it does the upgrade, you will have to deal with any issues as best you can. If there is a major problem, I suggest you ask at the time, and be sure to describe the problem well.

Biggles no more 14:38 31 Mar 2003

Rather patronising reply.

All I am doing is seeking views of others who have done the same upgrade. If there are snags, then I can be prepared for them. I like to do my homework first.

Biggles no more 14:41 31 Mar 2003

If you don't know, why bother to reply?

Surely the purpose of this forum is to seek answers, rather than comments that do not answer the question? Or is it just me that seems to get all the sarcasm?

monkeyshine 15:05 31 Mar 2003

I like to do my homework first.

Yes, we HAVE noticed that, over and over again.

Djohn 15:21 31 Mar 2003

Just having a second read of your question, and I think the reason for installing as a separate program, rather than "Overwrite!, Is because of the need to convert files from your first version.

By leaving the original program intact, it also leaves all your files and templates as you have first arranged them, you then have the choice of conversion and if no longer required, the removal of first program.

Think, I've understood your question and given the correct answer. regards. J.

DieSse 16:25 31 Mar 2003

It's meant to be the truth - not patronising. there is only one answer to why - and it's the one I gave - anything else is mere speculation, and will be of no practical help anyway.

As to the second - there's unlikly to be a problem, but you'll never know for your particular set-up until you actually do it. Then if you do have any issues, there'll be lots of practical help when you ask.

GroupFC 17:45 31 Mar 2003

I am a complete novice computer user, having only had a computer for about six months. It is nothing fancy or high-powered just what I thought I wanted at the time and could afford.

I visit this forum everyday and have followed most if not all of your posts (and if I recall correctly even replied to one!). I am trying to learn as much as I can as quickly as I can and I therefore follow all of the posts that I think may be of use to me.

I must agree with DieSse, who I have always seen to be most helpful, that there can be no explanation why the program installed in a different folder (although you presumably could have changed this during setup), which will be of any use to you, other than the one given by him, although of course you could always ask Lotus!

You will never know whether you are going to have problems when you instal or upgrade a program, and nobody will be able to predict a problem, as it is unlikely that two computers will ever have identical set-ups.

The only way you are going to find the answers to your questions is to go ahead and do it!!

Forum Editor 19:44 31 Mar 2003

is good, and there's really no problem if the new suite decides to install itself in a different directory from the existing software - which it almost certainly will.

When you're ready, and happy that the new suite is functioning properly - which it will - you can uninstall the original.

There's really no more to it than that - no homework to do, nothing to worry about, just enjoy the new software. The one thing I don't quite understand is why you aren't going for the latest version - SmartSuite Millennium 9.8

slightlymad 21:04 31 Mar 2003

...Especially as Version 9.7 isn't compatible with XP.

Taran 22:09 31 Mar 2003

Version 9.7 is, in fact, fully compatible with Windows XP.

Lotus SmartSuite '97, which Biggles currently uses, is not compatible, hence his move to upgrade.

I use 9.7 (a derivative of the Millennium releases) on several Windows XP systems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?