LOSTall E-MAILS from in-box

Newuser1280 11:23 01 Feb 2004

We are running Microsoft XP Home.
Last night I sent an e-mail and on finishing clicked on X to close Outlook Express. As I did this ALL the e-mails in the in-box vanished!!
No other e-mail folders (deleted, sent etc) are affected. We have tried everything we can think of to search for them with no luck. Could this be a virus? We had run a virus check only a few hours before the incident. My husband has lost lots of important correspondence and it's all my fault....HELP!!

bremner 11:28 01 Feb 2004

Have you looked in the Deleted folder to see if they are there

Rennaissance 11:29 01 Feb 2004

have you tried looking in the outlook express folder in the C drive as that is where the files are usually stored. Emails being deleted like this is strange. But if you ever recover them, i suggest you put the emails in a seperate folder to cause no further error.

Rennaissance 11:32 01 Feb 2004

one final question, were all the emails that got deleted read or unread? Because if they were unread, there is an option in outlook to delete all new messages within 5 days of not being read. That might have been the problem.

Lozzy 11:32 01 Feb 2004

Try this open Win Explorer then click on Tools then Folder Options and view. Enable Show Hidden files and Folders and click ok.

Now go to (on the left pane, documents and settings/your hubby's name/local settings/application data/identities/folder with numbers/Microsoft/outlook express

Now on the right pane look for In box and there you will see what size the folder is if its big then all emails are still there if it 492kb or smaller then there gone.

If its higher than 492kb try running virus scanner but I doubt its a virus.

DieSse 12:07 01 Feb 2004

Aslo try - in Outlook Express - Go to View - Current View - and ensure "Show all messages" is selected.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone