Lost wireless icon!

The Mountaineer 17:50 21 Aug 2009

I have lost my wireless icon in the system tray and have tried lots of things to get it back ..... but no luck.
I'm running XP professional on my pc and recently downloaded the upgrade to Panda 2010 security suite. I did the same on my two laptops, no problem. But, although my pc is connected to the router and the internet, the system tray icon is missing.
I have tried going to network connections and establishing the LAN icon, but this doesn't show available wireless networks.
I've also restarted "the service" from Wireless Zero G but this didn't help either.
I realise I could faff about with reinstalling Panda again but I wonder if there's something simple somewhere I've missed.
Strange that the internet IS connected wirelessly but with no icon to view or select a network.
Help!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 21 Aug 2009

Start -settings - network connections

right click on your wirless network - properties - tick bok shw icon when connected.

Graham. 18:00 21 Aug 2009

Right click the taskbar, Properties, Notification Area, Customize. It may be hiding.

The Mountaineer 18:14 21 Aug 2009

Graham, sorry, didnt work
Fruitbat, start>settings? Where?

birdface 18:28 21 Aug 2009

Is it not in control panel.And just a matter of clicking on it.

birdface 18:35 21 Aug 2009

Like graham it should be. Right click the taskbar.properties.customize.Current items.And if in there click on it and a dropdown bar will open.just click on always show.That how it works with XP Home.

The Mountaineer 18:40 21 Aug 2009

Buteman, I've clicked on the taskbar etc as you both say. It is not listed under current items. The closest item to it under past items below this is Windos Monitor Utility which I've clicked to "always show" to no effect.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 21 Aug 2009

start buuton - settings - network and dialup connectins

The Mountaineer 18:57 21 Aug 2009

Fruitbat, done via start>control panel>network connections with the only thing to right click being my LAN icon, which IS showing ...... but NOT the "available networks" as previously.
Ah ... just noticed something different from my laptop which has an icon in the network connections window for "Wireless Network Connection" (Intel (R) PRO Wireless etc, but there is no such wireless network connection icon in the same windo on my pc!

birdface 19:00 21 Aug 2009

looks like it may have been removed.In device manager.Network adapters.It should probably show 2 adapters one for your Wireless connection.If not on there it has probably been removed.
In Xp you could try control panel Administrative tools.Services.And scroll down to WLAN and make sure it is set to automatic and running.
Or maybe try with your Firewall switched off.
Are you still connected to the internet on it.If not maybe needing a driver update.

The Mountaineer 19:15 21 Aug 2009

Buteman, I had just been into Device Manager as your posting arrived and found that there is no wireless adaptor, only the ethernet adaptor. So, I am now completely baffled since a wireless adaptor has vanished but I am still connected wirelessly to the network and internet.
I realise this isnt the solution but I have an old USB Belkin network thingy which I've plugged in and now the icon shows.
I've checked the hardware on SIW utility and it only shows the ethernet adaptor and the usb external adaptor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017