Lost wireless connection on laptop after avg/2007

Stressed Mum 14:06 07 Nov 2009

I can't believe I'm here again - could do with a permanent link to you. After finally sorting out my PC I now have a problem with the laptop. Wanted to removed AVG 9 to reinstall 8.5 but i cannot get rid of it and it continues saying that there is a add on or something that is needed. However, i cannot get onto the internet AT ALL because of this this and therefore I am lost. Can't update MS as no internet. The settings for the wireless link tell me that they have attempted a repair without success, the the renewal of IP address can't be done, that the server name is incorrect. Aaaahhh, feel so stressed. This was supposed to help us - not stress us. I have checked everything - nothing has changed in the settings at all. We have very limited connectivity - but the other laptop is absolutely fine!! As is ipod, xbox etc all wireless...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:37 07 Nov 2009

Laptop make model?
Operating system?
Router make model?
ISP?

Stressed Mum 15:00 07 Nov 2009

Laptop Dell D600. Windows XP. Netgear. Zen

Stressed Mum 15:10 07 Nov 2009

I have managed to clear AVG completely now - but still cannot connect to internet. Have checked everything on connections but nothing has been changed - just keep getting errors saying that the connection is very limited. Doesn't matter where in the house I am.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:26 07 Nov 2009

Start - Settings - network settings wireless connection - highlight your wireless connection - change your advanced settings -wireless networks tab - click your network - properties - tick the box Connect even if this network is not broad casting.

Stressed Mum 16:19 07 Nov 2009

Can't seem to get to where you are suggesting. Found Network Connections > LAN or High Speed Internet > Wireless Network Connection > Properties > Advanced > then I get Windows Firewall and Connection sharing - nothing to tick... ??

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:37 07 Nov 2009

Network Connections > LAN or High Speed Internet > Wireless Network Connection

Click Wireless Network Connection which gives you Wireless Network connection Properties.

Click the Wireless Networks tab

In the preferred networks box highlight your network (if the "netgear" is not shown here then we will need to do something else).

Properties button > Association Tab > tick connect even if not broadcasting and while your in there make sure the security key is correct.

Stressed Mum 16:57 07 Nov 2009

Yes it is correct. But I do not have a option to tick connect even if not broadcasting as it is simply not there!!

Stressed Mum 17:38 07 Nov 2009

OMG!! This has taken me all day ! just thought I would have a look at this and through services tab found that most were unticked - should they be? Anyway - notice in particular the Windows Installer was unticked - so marked that and hay presto!! I am shocked! Internet connects, emails are coming through and sending - wow! What happened there then and should I do anymore to it?

Stressed Mum 17:47 07 Nov 2009

sorry - I meant msconfig not ipconfig - not sure where that I got that! Must have used it at one time??

Stressed Mum 17:59 07 Nov 2009

Dam! got to go out to kids firework party :(. I have internet connections and emails etc but I am unable to load the new AVG - keep getting errors - so I have just gone back to msconfig and marked all services with a tick (as on my pc) hopefully this will enable the files to download. If I get time later I'll post back. any suggestions greatly appreciated. Incidentally, I have just compared the network connections on the laptop to my pc network connections only to find a completely blank page! Apparently i have no connections at all. this has all happened sine this bloomin AVG 9. I am not happy. The laptop connections now shows an Internet Gateway Connection!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?