Lost windows Me key to use the OS

crazynurse 10:28 13 Nov 2007

Is there a way to get the key off of my compact disk for windows Me? Original CD!! not a copy!
I had a disk failure and have to reinstall windows Me (i cant afford XP or Vista- it took me long enough to save for the disk!!)

All my back-ups of files and folders are OK as I put them on CD.
But my windows Me came to me in a box with the key inside the box on a seperate bit of paper- now I have lost the paper.

Is there a way of getting the key off of the Original CD allowing me to reinstall it?

ventanas 10:38 13 Nov 2007

The key is not on the CD, and without access to your previous drive there is not much hope.

All I can suggest is you contact Microsoft on 0870 60 20 100 Hopefully they will be sympathetic.

bjh 10:40 13 Nov 2007

No, unfortunately not. The key is not on the CD anywhere, it is a non-random algorithm that is self-checking, ie only a small proportion of the possible codes will activate the product.

If you have kept a complete backup of the original hard drive, you can get the original code from that.

crazynurse 10:42 13 Nov 2007

Looks like a call to Micro$oft then! Thanks to you both for your help. - and the Micro$oft number too!

johnnyrocker 10:43 13 Nov 2007

and it was resolved how?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?