Lost 'update control file' for AVG free

1933 10:45 23 Dec 2008

Until last weekend the PC was OK but since then I seem to have been "hit". I could not update AVG due to a lost update control file. Tried removing the program and re-installing but no luck. Also my Firefox browser tends to redirect many of my searchs to some strange sites. One other thing is when I try to export my address book from Outlook Express as soon as I start to type in a file name (to save the file) the program closes down. Apart from a complete re-install any ideas? Am running XP with version 3.
Thanks

Technotiger 11:23 23 Dec 2008

Looks as if you have been hit with a nasty - try running click here

palinka 14:11 23 Dec 2008

After you've run the program suggested by technotiger delete AVG completely, then download a new copy; choose Save to (desktop - that's the most convenient place). Then install the program from the Saved desktop icon and immediately do an update. Thereafter set it to update every day.
When everything is OK again , switch off system restore and then switch it on again - just in case the nasty is lurking there (and could thus leap into life again if you did a sys restore in the future.)

1933 09:32 24 Dec 2008

Many thanks for the advice, using a full copy of Superantispyware Pro and it found 109 threats, following scan reloaded AVG with no problems and Firefox is not now re-directed to 'wrong' sites, also I can save WAB from OE without it crashing. Thanks again guys, Happy Christmas to all. Dave

Technotiger 10:01 24 Dec 2008

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

Happy Christmas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017