lost start up password

adamagain 23:17 26 Nov 2008

Been given a computer but the start up screen says press ctrl alt delete then put in password but i dont know it
Anyway to reset it or cancell.

Thanks

sawuk 23:36 26 Nov 2008

Hi there,

On most motherboards theres a jumper to reset a password BUT I think this resets a BIOS password not a software password. Might be worth looking into.

Stu

DieSse 23:37 26 Nov 2008

Yes - ask the person who gave it to you - they must know it.

adamagain 00:57 27 Nov 2008

DieSse.
cant its been donated.

tullie 01:20 27 Nov 2008

Reinstall?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:25 27 Nov 2008

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

wskaihd 06:44 10 Oct 2009

To avoid reinstalling your system, the easiest way to resolve the problem is to use some Windows password Recovery program. The program will enable you to reset the password to "Blank" with no -reformatting or installation. Do all the job for you automatically. click here.
Windows Password Recovery allows you to reset windows password with with CD!!

bombermanneo 04:09 17 Nov 2009

Thank you for your windows password recovery tool 3.0
it works great.

User-1229748 05:51 17 Nov 2009

windows password recovery tool is spyware,do not download from the link above :o(

Noldi 06:15 17 Nov 2009

My Daughter forgot her password and as she had not created a recovery disc we could not get in. My Local PC repair man cleared the password for a small sum.

Noldi

birdface 09:27 17 Nov 2009

maybe find something in this old thread that may help.
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017