Lost start up bar

Dopey74 10:16 11 May 2008

I have just installed a video card and the icons on the desk top changed size, I tried to remedy this but failed, then when my wife went on to her account the start up bar was missing.
When I next booted up she told me of this problem but I could find nothing to restore it, I had to turn off the computer to close it down and when I re-booted it my start up bar had also disappeared, what went wrong????

Sea Urchin 10:21 11 May 2008

See if this helps

click here

maanse 14:19 11 May 2008

The previous thread may not solve the problem. And re-installing windows seems a little drastic for such a small problem.

Ive seen this problem before on WinXP (and Vista) where when a new graphics card is added to a system that was previously using onboard graphics the start menu and task bar disappear on startup.

Solution: Go into bios and disable onboard graphics adapter, Restart pc, Make sure new graphics card drivers are up to date.

BTW: ive only ever seen this issue myself on Dell pc's and the like.

Dopey74 19:22 11 May 2008

Thank you both for your suggestions I have tried them but to no avail, I don't know how to do a restore as I cant use the start button to get onto settings. thanks again

BurrWalnut 19:30 11 May 2008

click here and scroll down to line 195 on the right hand column and download the file.

Save the REG File to your hard disk.

Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt.

Dopey74 10:05 12 May 2008

Thank you one and all and espcially Marg, I got into restore and now things are back to normal ( I hope)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?