lost sound to speakers

badhooverdog 19:58 14 Oct 2008

hello,
having a prob with my creative 5.1 set up. the speakers all work but only getting output from 1 socket, ie. i can swap the plugs around but only 2 speakers work at a time. Have been using them for last few years with no probs.

Did install a new graphics card recently & that seemed to be causing some interference - buzzing though speakers in time with gpu fan. that cleared up when i installed new sound drivers last week.

Do i need a new sound card - is the same age age pc, 4-5 years.

Any thoughtS appreciated, BHD

Technotiger 20:18 14 Oct 2008

If they have been working for years, I would not have thought a new sound card should be necessary. Try running click here in its default form - your hardware changes might have caused a glitch in the registry.

Technotiger 20:19 14 Oct 2008

Or, check that when you installed your new graphics card, you did not dislodge anything inside the case. Make sure all cards/ram/cables etc are fully seated.

badhooverdog 22:17 14 Oct 2008

thanks for the input Technotiger. will open up the case & check out the connections.

couldnt get that link you suggested. what was it?

cheers, BHD

Technotiger 22:19 14 Oct 2008

Sorry about the link, it should have been click here

badhooverdog 20:17 16 Oct 2008

technotiger.

had a look at the cables etc but couldnt see anything amiss. downloaded that cleaner - thanks. nifty tool. have cleaned up the registry as you suggested but still no joy.

pc appears to have onboard sound rather than a card.

Technotiger 20:29 16 Oct 2008

On-board sound is AC97 - you could check in the BIOS that this has not become disabled, if it has then it is a simple matter to re-enable it.

Though I am a little puzzled why you seem to have 'part' sound working.

Failing that, it might then be a good idea to install a dedicated PCI Sound card.

badhooverdog 00:26 17 Oct 2008

if i install a new sound card will that clash with the AC 97 on board sound?

maybe a prob with the amp. will have a good look at that tomorrow.

thanks technotiger

Technotiger 08:51 17 Oct 2008

A dedicated sound card would take over from the on-board sound.

Technotiger 08:53 17 Oct 2008

PS - first time you have mentioned having an Amp - so I would check that out first.

badhooverdog 04:05 18 Oct 2008

thanks technotiger.

will check out amp & if no joy will get a sound card. am on nights at mo so will be in a day or two.

will get back to you if any probs.

thanks for your help, BHD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?