lost sound

elbecko 05:52 30 Aug 2009

hi there.

i had to re-install xp this morning and that means i've lost everything.

i'm gradually adjusting and customizing things, however i cannot play any music at all.

i have gone to control panel, sounds and audio devices, and the volume tab, but can't adjust anything.
i can't move the slider control at all. actually at the top of this box it say no audio device, which is obviously untrue.

can someone help please???

ambra4 06:01 30 Aug 2009

You need to install all the drivers for the computers

Video card

Sound card

Chip set

Lan card

Wireless card

Etc

birdface 08:15 30 Aug 2009

Try device manager and see if there are any exclamation marks beside any of the devices if so update them.if you download SIW it will give you any information about what is on your computer.It is just a matter of going to the makers sites then and downloading new drivers.

FatboySlim71 08:45 30 Aug 2009

With you re-installing XP again, you will have to re-install after XP, the drivers disk/s, sometimes the disk is called 'motherboard drivers'. After you have installed these drivers, you should have sound again, if not then you should try buteman's suggestion.

To save you having to re-install everything again, it might be an idea to purchase some backup software (Acronis True Image) for example and a external hard disk drive, so that you can take regular backups of your computer. Acronis have an excellent forum, they help me out with a few questions I had prior to purchasing True Image. One of the links below is for Amazon (where I purchased my True Image from) and the other is to Acronis True Image forum.

click here

click here

Basically after installing True Image and creating the rescue CD with it. If the worst happens and your computer refuses to bootup, you simply insert the rescue CD in the drive, have the external hard drive switched on and then once True Image has booted off of the CD, you choose the backup you are wanting to restore from and that's it. In approximately an hour, you will have your computer up and running again to the state it was on the day you took the backup. True Image has saved me many times, only last week for example I had to restore from an image. If you do decide to go with my suggestion of Acronis True Image, in my experience the differential backups and the incremental backups can be problematic, but the full backup option (this is the type I always do) always works. I did try to restore off of a differential backup once and it was corrupted, so its worth bearing this in mind regarding the full backup method IMO. : )

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?