Lost Shutdown Dialog Box

MicT 12:27 12 Jan 2008

Could you help me, please?

My PC is running Windows XP Pro, SP2, with a the latest updates installed

On Wednesday, 9th January 2008 I downloaded two security patches and the malicious software removal tool via Microsoft's Windows Update website.

It was necessary to reboot after the installation, but when my PC tried to start-up again it ended in the perpetual reboot cycle. I managed to use F8 whilst rebooting, and stopped the rebooting, and received the blue screen error 0xC000021A. I wasn't sure how to go further, so I repaired the Windows XP Pro, and reinstalled sp2.

Now I can't access the Shutdown dialog box, either from the Start Menu of by CTRL + ALT + DEL. With the latter, the usual dialog box opens, but when I click on the "Shutdown" button, it remains "pushed", but nothing happens.

I now am left in the situation where I have to turn the PC off by holding in the power button for 4 secs.

Could you advise me, please?

It has just occurred to me that I could go through all this again next time I download the Microsoft updates.

eedcam 12:56 12 Jan 2008

Do a Systemrestore to before the updates if that fixes it do the updates one at a time see if you can pinpoint

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites.

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?