Lost Sata drive

Jaynedoe 18:32 01 Jan 2008

Hi Guys. Happy New Year to you all. Need some info. Bought the lad a compter bare bones from Novatech. booted to bios ok but it says it cant detect any hard drives. Now the hard drive Im using is a Seagate IDE 200 gig. It was used on his old puter and works fine. If I connect it up to the IDE ribbon on the barebones it boots ok and works but if I connect it to the sata1 socket cable via an IDE to SATA connector on the back of the hard drive the bios will not recognise the drive and so will not boot up. The convertor has been used before ok and the IDE drive is ok as it works fine in the old unit. Any ideas please? Thanks
Jayne.

ICF 18:39 01 Jan 2008

Does it have any jumpers to set it to Master,Slave or Cable Select?

Jaynedoe 18:46 01 Jan 2008

Hi I set it to master it only has the one drive fitted.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:48 01 Jan 2008

The BIOS will think its now a SATA drive, maybe you need to reset the boot device in BIOS to SATA?

martd77 18:53 01 Jan 2008

"lost sata drive"
Is it an ide drive or sata?
If sata use sata cables,one from the psu to the drive and a sata cable from the drive to the sata connector on the motherboard,if ide use the ide ribbon type cable as you have done and it works so to me that means its an ide drive?

ICF 18:56 01 Jan 2008

Just done a bit of research and if using a Ide to Sata converter the drive should be set to Cable Select.Give it a try nothing to lose.

Jaynedoe 19:02 01 Jan 2008

OK lads thanks to 'The Guy' who emailed me. problem now solved. It appears that the solder on the pins on the converter touch the metal on the Seagate HDD (IDE) when pushed fully home causing the power to short out. Applying a piece of foam to the back stops this happening and it works by Golly. Thanks .
Jayne

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?