Lost photo browser in XP Pro

User-52D347B9-29BD-4B4A-8760E15AD05DBA65 15:08 14 Jan 2006

I have lost the very convenient XP Photo browser. Maybe a file has been deleted along with my photos when I had a clearout, now I can only open photos with Photoshop, and can't use slideshow etc.
If it would be better to leave well alone can anyone recommend a good free photo browser/slideshow download?

Zak 15:12 14 Jan 2006
  dms05 15:46 14 Jan 2006

You may have changed the program to open the phote files.

Go to Control Panel, select Folder Options and when this opens click on File Type. Then scroll down to JPEG and it will tell you which program will open this type of file. Mine's set as you would like yours to be! If it isn't then click on Change and select the Program you'd like to open these files.

non of the solutions suggested so far work I'm afraid

VoG II 17:53 14 Jan 2006

Do you mean that Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is disabled? If so, Start, Run, type

regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

and click OK.

when I select the above it seems to be inoperative. Other progs like paint etc work but aren't as good. How do I get pic and fax viewer going?

De Marcus™ 17:55 14 Jan 2006

Another method of the above:

Right click on one of the photo's in question and select: 'open with' and then 'choose program'. The 'open with' dialogue box will open. Make sure 'windows picture and fax viewer' is highlighted in blue, if it isn't make it so, then at the bottom of this box is an option called 'Always use the selected program to open this kind if file'. Put a tick in it and click ok. Try opening the photo again.

just tried typing "regsvr" etc but got file not found

tried but no good

I think Vog is on the right track. How do I reinstall file?

Zak 18:05 14 Jan 2006

click here

Perhaps item 80 Disable or Restore Picture & Fax Viewer may work. Also 58 Restore User Default Pictures.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?