Lost online help files in IE 6

Ianhut 12:02 25 Sep 2006

Basics: Running XP home edition. My computer is DELL Dimension 4500 and XP was pre-installed. Automatic updates on and none seem to be required. [Not sure if this is relevant, but I recently reinstalled IE 6 after I found IE 7 beta affected earlier scanner software]
I am an amateur with computers, but I am trying to widen my knowledge.

Problem: When I try to open help files, in Internet Explorer version 6.2 I get list of INDEX subject listings but when I highlight one and click DISPLAY I get "web page cannot be displayed".

Things tried: I confess that I do not completely understand Microsoft page on "How to reinstall or repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP" and possible effects of service packs, but after reading it I tried their suggestion:

Run: sfc /scannow

Was prompted for the Windows XP CD but as XP was pre-installed I only have recovery CD.
I tried inserting CD at prompt and clicking "retry" but this only got me into a catch 22 situation of
CANCEL > retry prompt >CANCEL > retry prompt >etc until I chose "emergency" shut down

I think that directly editing the registry would be beyond me, but perhaps you can suggest an alternative approach, (or some software), that might help me safely find/replace/install what I believe are called
Help .chm files.
If installation is not possible perhaps you can point me to an online site where they may be read.

Your expertise is appreciated.
Thanks for your help - Ian

VoG II 12:10 25 Sep 2006

Try this click here

Ianhut 11:41 26 Sep 2006

11:30AM 26 Sept: I hope it is proper for the person who originally posted to add comments here. If not please forgive me as I can knew that this posting business.
Thank you for that range of suggestions. I could not use those dependent on the windows XP installation CD as XP was preinstalled by Dell; so I used IE Fix which claims it repairs Internet Explorer by registering it's core DLL files and reinstalls using the IE.INF file.
This was bit labourious without the Windows XP installation CD, but I used "search" to find each file and opened each one in turn as required by the programme. At the end of this process nothing happened and there was no confirmation that sufficient files had been replaced for "setup" to work.
The IE help files would still not open - what to do next? I was not very sure of what I was doing, but
I was guessing that Internet Explorer 6 was the version of IE to go with, and that SP 1 and SP 2 were some sort of security amendments to this programme. The only version that I could come across that was available for download, seemed to be Internet Explorer SP 1, but I discovered by reading from your reference that this is only applicable to earlier operating systems. Another thing I was not clear about was that on the one hand I thought I should somehow download Internet Explorer and then install it, but on the other I had read that removing Internet Explorer, (perhaps by using control panel and add or remove), could be bad news because it might disable other programs and links dependent upon it.
After some Google searches I came across a free download of "SP 2 full pack" which I hoped meant the Internet Explorer program with built in amendments. I took a chance and downloaded, (14 minutes!), and selected run and after restarting the computer a simpler version of the help files opened. Eureka!
I am not sure whether this last part fixed it or whether the earlier IE fix contributed, but it seems that "SP 2 full pack" was able to replace the partly working version that was on my computer without removing it. I would be interested to read some explanation of how these things work and where that you think this was the right approach in the end.
Thanks again for the swift and comprehensive reply. This is an excellent website and I shall return from time to time to try to learn more. Regards - Ian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?